Monday, October 02, 2006

What's black and white and left all over?

As a journalism major at the University of Florida, I sometimes feel uncertain about the future of journalism. It seems that there are less and less people reading actual print newspapers and more and more reading online publications.

But what is even more concerning to me is that, of this dwindling number of people reading print papers, a greater number of those readers are more comfortable with strewing them about the community when they are finished. Is this their way of spreading the great word of print journalism? I’m not sure, but I think that if it is, they are going about it in the wrong way.

Today while I was walking through the Reitz Union Food Court, I overheard a custodian cursing a scattered Independent Florida Alligator that she was picking up from a table. I felt sad for two reasons. The first, this poor woman shouldn’t have to pick up someone else’s discarded newspaper because they are lazy. And second, someone should not harbor ill will towards a paper simply because someone felt like they did not need to dispose of the paper in the proper receptacle.

I know that this post is a stretch. I also know newspapers are not the only thing casually tossed to the ground. But, how about we just start small? Also, take a peak at this article from the University of Oregon, where George Weyrens, a custodian, contributed a significant amount of money to the school’s scholarship fund.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I was JUST thinking about this today, thinking that we need newspaper recycle bins on campus for this reason.
I see can/bottle recycle bins all over, and they're normally full. We need the same things for newspapers! Who would we talk to about this? SG? (Hahaha.)