Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Are you f'ing kidding me?

After a few beers and another Tampa Bay Bucs loss, I am known to shout a few choice words at random inanimate objects, mainly because I believe that they are the root of all problems for my team.

However, after a few short hours when I am thinking clearly, I have already begun to voice my regret to my friends and inanimate objects.

The thing about cursing is that it is so fun when you aren’t thinking straight, at least to me. I fell like my statements have more validity and emphasis.

However, this really couldn’t be further from the truth.

When people curse in public places it really brings them to another level, one that is far below that of everyone else. Cursing just makes those around the curser feel awkward and loathsome toward that person.

Steve Mertz, at the blog Sales Presentation Training, gave this tip for public speaking: Curse in public! His argument is that cursing gives the presenter a feeling that he has made it. It is important to note he says that cursing is more often done by males, and that his tip is more for a speaking engagement and less for everyday use.

Steve isn’t really thinking clearly here. I can understand his point about the felling of empowerment, although I think it is a little lame. However, to recognize cursing as a good public speaking tool is awful advice and should not be heeded.

No comments: