Monday, November 06, 2006

Places to go, people to interrupt

Everyone should, and hopefully will, have to give a public speech once in their life. And hopefully when they do, someone will leisurely get up from their front-row seat, zip up a bag that they are carrying, and then walk out of the room with the door slamming shut behind them.

Why do I wish this on others? Because I’m cynical? No. Because countless times out of my day I see others do this.

I know that some people have other engagements. I understand this, but also realize that may not be the case all the time.

Tonight I saw David Burnett, a famous photojournalist, speak at UF. As the speech went on, people began to just zip up their bags and exit.

I know for a fact that one kid, who sat in front of me, was planning on leaving 10 minutes into the lecture to go to class. I don’t mind he showed up really, what I mind is he sat in the second row, in the middle of the row.

Dr. Kirk, a teacher from Florida, has noticed this interrupting trend among her students. She suggests telling students to treat class like a meeting. In a meeting, you wouldn't walk out on your boss. She has a point, however, as college kids we need to start realizing these things on our own.

If you are planning on leaving before a lecture is over, do us all a favor and sit in the back. It’s really not the complicated. Just imagine if it was you up there, how would you feel?

1 comment:

DelaneyKirk said...

I'm with you, Ryan. When did people (and I'm not talking just students) become so disrespectful? This is all part of basic social skills.