Monday, October 23, 2006

Stop, look and listen, before you cross that street!

As a cyclist, I am reminded everyday that I am at the bottom of the totem poll in regards too pedestrians. People could care less about a person on a bike. Bicyclists even rate lower than mopeds, which is just embarrassing.

But why do people feel that people on bikes viewed as less of a threat. I go well over 20 m.p.h. on my bike, which is more than the speed limit on campus at UF. So I can do as much damage.

I think most of us have forgotten to “Stop, look and listen,” before we cross the street. Everyone’s safety is in danger when you don’t. I have seen countless pedestrians crossing at the bottom of the hill that is between the Florida Gym and Weimer Hall. I know that there is a pedestrian cross walk, and that pedestrians have the right of way. But at least take a peak to see if someone is barreling down the hill.

Also, take a peak to see which of these basic rules of pedestrian safety you don’t follow daily. It helps all of us.

No comments: