Friday, September 29, 2006

A Portrait of a Subway Artist as a Young Man

I know that most people that work in the food service industry are probably not that excited about their jobs. I know from experience, as in my short span of careers I have scooped ice cream at two different shops. But even if you aren’t thrilled with your job, or plan to make a career out of it, At least do it with a little pride.

The main culprit that I speak of is the Subway at the University of Florida. During the lunch rush, the workers never cease to amaze me with their multitasking and ability to crank out a delicious sub in no time. However, I have found that the Thursday night crew is not exactly up to par.

Every Thursday, as part of a five-year tradition, my girlfriend and I eat subs and watch Survivor. Lame? Yes. But it’s tradition. The Subway crew last night and the previous Thursdays, have been horrendous. They chat away while my sub sits there, they are in absolutely no rush to make the sub, and worst of all, there is not “artistry” in their sub making. They simply lopsidedly throw the ingredients on and call it a day.

I searched the Subway website and stumbled across these paragraphs in the employment section under the “Our Customers” tab.


"How did we grow to be such a strong team? By serving and caring for one person at a time. What are guests our saying about their experience at SUBWAY® restaurants:

You will have plenty of opportunities to interact with our guest on a daily basis, no matter what job you are doing. You will soon find yourself seeing many of the same faces again & again, and have the chance to get to know their names, as well as their favorite menu items."

Clearly the Thursday evening crew has yet to fully dive into this frame of mind. I also found another Blogger, Oli in the UK, that has the same problem I do. While his categories may not be PC, it just goes to show you that perhaps the Subway Board of Directors has their hands full, and not just at the UF level, but globally.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I love how you actually found someone all the way from the UK that has the same complaints! Nice research, lol.