Thursday, September 14, 2006

How to be a Stair Master

It's a funny thing how you can type something one day, and then what you typed about happens the next day. I was in the University of Florida’s new library, Library West, and I was stuck on their nice, shiny new elevator. Annoyed and in a hurry when I had finished my library business, I took the stairs.

Much to my chagrin, and not really much to my surprise, I encountered another unnatural road block, as a group of three traveled up the stairs. This group decided that it would be alright to traverse the stairs, taking up the entire stairwell. I thought to myself that clearly these people have yet to stumble upon my blog, and second, that if they did, would they apply the same rules to stairs as elevators? So I have decided to lay it out. Lets all climb the stairs on the right, and for those of us heading down, let’s stick to the right as well. This way we eliminate the possibility of rounding a stairwell and colliding into a herd of three, staking their claim to the entire stairwell.

3 comments:

James Rigney said...

Does it annoy you when a group of people stands arounf talking on the side walk? I was walking home to work the other day when a group of 15 or so Sorority clones were blocking my path. None of them moved. I guess I should have said "Hey! Don't STAND in one place on the side WALK." But I dind't.

Is it just me or is that annoying?

Ryan said...

Even more frustrating are those that are "slow walkers." When this scenario arises, it's hard to navigate past them. When making a move to the right or left, they some how predict your motion and slide in fron of you yet again.

Erin said...

I call it "flanking" when I maneuver around the slow walkers. As a fairly fast walker, I've become good at getting around them. Still, they're insanely annoying. Just move over and don't walk five people wide!
(I totally love your blog and it's topic, by the way.)